|Dr. Leyon Varghese|
|Department of Zoology
|0480 2800035 , 09495009645|
Google Scholar h-index - 11 (Citations 537)
ResearchGate h-index - 11 (Citations 452)
Scoops (Elsevier) h-index - 6 (Citations 197)
Average impact factor 4.2 (2003 - 2016)
Nov ’11 – Present Assistant Professor& Principal Investigator
Immunology & Toxicology Research Lab, Dept. of Zoology
Christ College Irinjalakuda, Kerala, India.
Sep ’05 – May ’11 Research Fellow,
Signal Transduction Division
IMCB - A*Star, Singapore.
Mar ’04 – Sep ’05 Visiting Research Associate,
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy,
UCHSC, Denver, CO, USA.
2005 PhD (Immunology), University of Calicut, Kerala, India.
2000 Master of Science (Zoology), University of Calicut, Kerala, India.
1998 Bachelor of Science(Zoology), University of Calicut, Kerala, India.
RECENT RESEARCH PROJECTS AS PI
1. Bioremediation potentials of a dug-well grown herb Lagenandra toxicaria– a suspected hyperaccumulator. Rs. 11,74,300/-Funding agencyUGC.
2. Bioremediation and antimicrobial properties of a dug well floating plant Lagenandra toxicaria Dazzle. Rs. 12,62,400/-Funding agencyKSCSTE.
PREVIOUS PROJECTS AS FELLOW AT IMCB AND UCHSC
1) Electron transport chain subunits causes mesenchymal transition of epithelial cells. The knock-down studies incell culture systems and xenograft.
2) Purification of PRL-3 chimeric antibodies for pre-clinical experiments. Exploring the mechanism of tumour reduction by anti-PRL-3 antibody using different mice models.
3) Effect of silibinin, a plant flavanoid, on cell cycleusing hepatic carcinoma cells and its effect on cancer progression in TRAMP mice.
1) FLAIR Fellowship (2015), Four weeks at ‘University of Roehampton, London, UK’. Identified by FLAIR, Office of the New Initiatives, Higher Education Department, Gov. Kerala.
2) Best Research Paper Award (2013), at ‘World Congress on Research and Innovations’ St. Joseph’s College, Irinjalakuda, Kerala, India (December 2013)
3) Young Researcher Award(2009),at ‘International Symposium on Cancer Chemoprevention & Translational Research’Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
TEACHING/SUPERVISORY EXPERIENCE (2011-2016)
UG/PG Teaching subjects - Animal Diversity, Cell biology, Immunology and Biochemistry.
Research guideUni. of Calicut (PhD Zoology) - Completed - 0: Ongoing - 2
Post Graduate dissertation (MSc Zoology) - Completed -8; Ongoing - 3
Undergraduate dissertation (BSc Zoology) - Completed - 4: Ongoing - 0
EXTENSION AND CONSULTANCY SERVICES
• Reviewer of the journal - BioMed Research International.
• Extension lectures on topics like human genome project & cancer biology.
• Consultancy extended for various biochemical assays, bio assays as well as molecular & immuno biology techniques.