College Chronicle

  • Home Institution  About College  College Chronicle

Christ College, nurtured and nourished by the collective will of the people of Irinjalakuda, has its origin in 1956 at Mangadikunnu, then a forlorn hill on the out skirts of Irinjalakuda Municipality. The College was formally inaugurated by Sri.B.Ramakrishna Rao, Governer of Kerala on October 13th 1957. The College started with 240 students and 14 members on the teaching staff. 

 

1955 20 May College Committee of Citizens formed
1955 18 June University sanction for starting the College
1955 24 October Foundation stone of the College laid by Rev.Fr.Maurus CMI, Prior General
1956 23 February 17 Acres of Municipal land given on lease by the Government
1956 17 June Blessing of the College by Dr.G.C.Alappat, Bishop of Thrissur
1956 18 June Classes Begin. First Manager: Rev.Fr.Clemens CMI and First Principal: Rev.Fr. Gabriel CMI
1956 09 July Visit of the first University Inspection Commission
1957 June Front Block completed. Degree Course in Chemistry, Zoology & Commerce started
1957 13 October Formal Inauguration of the College by Sri. B. Ramakrishna Rao, Governor of Kerala
1957 December Junior Hostel Building Completed
1958 June B.A. Economics started
1957-58 Kandamkulathy Trophy for Football Instituted
1960 June Old Students’Association Formed
1960 June B.Sc. Physics started
1960 September Vidhyarthy Bhavan Hostel Completed
1960 30 October Christ Monastery (Junior Hostel) formally inaugurated
1961 June Post - Graduate Courses in Commerce and Zoology started
1961-62 Students’ Centre & Hobby Workshop opened
1963 February Library block Completed, Christ College Development Committee formed, Zoology Museum inaugurated
1963 June Christ College Women’s Section opened
1963 June B.Sc. Mathematics started
1964 June Christ College Women’s Section separated as St. Joseph’s College
1964 June Two Year Pre - Degree course started
1964 23 August Christ Monastery shifted to the new building
1965 2 December Sri. A. P. Jain, Governor of Kerala visited the College
1966 June Special B.Sc. Chemistry & zoology and M.Sc. Chemistry started  M. Com & M. Sc Zoology Blocks completed
1966 26 - 30 December Decennium celebrated with competitions conferences and cultural programmes; Sri. Bhagvan Sai, Governor of Kerala presided. College park completed
1967 January Old student’s Trophy for Volley Ball Instituted
1968 College came under the jurisdiction of Calicut University
1968 26 October U.G.C. Team inspected the College and was much impressed
1969 1 February College day, presided over by Sri. V. V. Giri Vice president of India
1969 December National Service Scheme - Two Units Nos. 49 & 70 started
1969-70 H. E. Joseph Card Parecattil visited the College
1970-71 Won the University aggregate Championship. Winners of University Volley Ball, Basket-Ball, Tennis and Shuttle Badminton
1971 26 May College Chapel consecrated
1971-72 M.Sc. Chemistry Block completed. 400 Metres Track completed
1973 08 May Library building (present auditorium) foundation stone laid
1973 Approval of Zoology Department as a Research centre
1974 05 February 5th University Athletic Meet Inaugurated by Field Marshal SamManekshaw
1975 31 March Retirement of Fr. Gabriel, First Principal
1976 29 October 8th University Athletic Meet
1978 31 March Construction of workshop and animal house. Winners of the University Volley - Ball, Tennis and Junior Athletics.
     
     
     
     

 

 

© 2021 Christ College Irinjalakuda Since 1956
Website Powered by iDynasite from INI Technologies Pvt Ltd, India